Sunday 17 October 2021

 






Though she is already sitting up when he himself awakes, he recognises her eyes as unseeing, merely open.
It is with only the slightest movement of her head that she briefly engages him in her attention, so absolutely lost in her thought as to barely comprehend his own consciousness, distracted enough that when he finally speaks
Skunk (Elvis voice): What’s shakin’, baby?
she again only looks slowly round at him before returning to whatever forms her point of focus, far past the confine of that hotel bedroom wall at which she seems to stare.
Her voice when it comes sounds as something she has had to push out through layers of impediment:
ache1: It’s weird, when I was when I was really young there was always this moment when...
sighing
ache1: ..whenever I got anything new, and it didn’t matter if it was a present or if I bought it for myself...
Brother Skunk suddenly feels himself beset by a new tiredness.
ache1: ..but, uh, on the, on the day, on the actual day, as much as I loved whatever it was, if I loved it that is, it wasn’t until the next day, the following morning, that I fully understood what I had, the the, the importance of it, or the newness of it, ahm, I don’t know, I don’t know, but...
trailing off, disappointed in her inability to express that which she wants him to know.
Skunk: I think I
ache1 (not interrupting as such, rather simply unaware he had begun to speak): One time I had this, I’d bought it for myself, this little umbrella, like a toy umbrella. I think ah, I think it, it must have been raining for a few days, and, and my mum had an umbrella, Dad had his own umbrella though I don’t think my sister did yet, which actually, that might have had something to do with it actually
laughs
ache1: and I really wanted one for me
remembering now as if this is the first time she’s given it any thought since
ache1: because ahm, because, because it seemed to me then like the most impossibly grown-up thing to have, and even though what I ended up getting was probably just a toy, it was still... an umbrella! An umbrella!
One of her hands emerges from the sheets to touch her face.
ache1: So when I did finally get it, it was...
she looks round at him
ache1: ..it was...
before again visibly losing focus
ache1: ..and then the next day, that was when, it was only then I really understood that I had my umbrella.
Pause.
ache1: And that’s when it stopped raining.
In his expectation of her doing likewise Skunk laughs, only to stop quickly when she does not.
ache1: I probably had that umbrella for a month or more before it rained again. Every morning I was watching the weather forecast on the tv just... hoping. I must have driven my parents-
She pulls a little at her hair.
ache1: But even without the rain, for a long time that umbrella was my favourite, favourite thing...
reaching out and gently tapping at the top of her E.T. doll’s flaking vinyl head
ache1: Well, until this little fucker came along.
Lacking those years requisite for nostalgia, still she finds herself mourning the loss of something she was never granted opportunity to appreciate, her hands inside her pyjama top, fingers gently tracing her belly’s tender welts as if she can already determine the nascent accumulation within.